Zerust® corrosion engineers go beyond VCI technology by offering a comprehensive system called Integrated Corrosion Technologies ("ICT®"). ICT® is our term for the various material and chemical sciences that comprise our Zerust® / Excor® packaging product system including VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor) technology. Depending on the corrosion protection requirements and economic targets, Zerust® / Excor® ICT® products can be designed in one or more of the following combinations to provide the optimum corrosion protection system.
About VCI Technology
Volatile Corrosion Inhibitors ("VCI") plastic packaging generally consists of polyethylene film that has been impregnated with chemical formulations that are unique to each manufacturer. While the underlying formulations can vary significantly, the finished products all function similarly in that they release very low concentrations (typically in parts per ten-thousandth) of invisible corrosion inhibiting vapors into the surrounding air. The vapor molecules subsequently condense onto exposed metal surfaces and form a molecular corrosion shield that can protect against rust and other forms of corrosion for up to five (5) years, and even longer in some cases. When the VCI packaging is later removed, all vapor corrosion inhibiting molecules rapidly evaporate. This leaves the metal parts clean and ready for immediate use.
About Zerust® VCI Poly Bags
ZERUST® VCI Film is produced by incorporating a formulation of patented contact and volatile corrosion inhibitors into the film during the production stage ZERUST® VCI Films are not coated. The inhibitors become an integral, inseparable component of the film. The ZERUST® vapor molecules counteract the corrosive effects of humidity, salt and pollutants. ZERUST® VCI Film is available in bags, sheeting, tubing and liners to meet specific needs of industry.
- Heat sealable with standard equipment. Bags or shroud closures, however, can be tied, folded, or stapled closed for protection equivalent to that experienced with a heat sealed enclosure.
- Large items can be protected for years without supplemental protection.
- Protects when used in conjunction with acid bearing packing materials, e.g., corrugated board, chipboard, wood, etc.
- Has no coating of chemicals to flake off, stick to, or otherwise damage or soil components or machinery.
- Inhibitors will not affect any electrical or mechanical properties of a packaged item.
- Chemical effectiveness is not impaired by rough handling.
- May be used in conjunction with neutral or light rust preventative oils.
- No special handling precautions required.
- Available from stock in popular bag, sheeting and tubing sizes.
- Can be supplied in special sizes and forms to meet specific needs.
- Five-year in-service life.
Typical automotive industry applications include corrosion protection for:
- Spare parts
- Assembled engines
- Engine components including blocks, cylinders, pistons, and connecting rods
- Body panels
- Electronic sensors and assemblies
In addition, ZERUST® products are so safe that they have been featured on the American Environmental Review on public television and have also been cleared by the US Food & Drug Administration for protecting metal food containers and processing equipment.